A Caloundra mural has taken out the Best External Mural category at the inaugural Australian Street Art Awards.
Announced at a gala dinner on the Sunshine Coast last night, the “Looking Glass Fish in the Deep Hue Sea“ mural was nominated by Sunshine Coast Council and public art curator, Julie Hauritz accepted the Award on Council’s behalf.
The Australian Street Art Awards recognise towns, regions and destinations that are using one or more of the many forms of outdoor, publicly accessible art to attract visitors, boost their economy and engage their community.
Australian Street Art Awards Director, Liz Rivers, said “This win is a significant feather in Caloundra’s cap. The Award will encourage even more tourists to experience Caloundra and the other winning street art regions”.
Judging was conducted by tourism and event industry leaders from around Australia, lending weight to Sunshine Coast’s success.
The criteria focussed on the way the art has been used to attract visitors and bring the local community together, rather than the quality of the artwork. “The towns and organisations behind the winning entries showed clear evidence that they had a powerful vision for future success through a strategic approach to promotion,” Ms Rivers said.
The mural was created by street artist George Rose and Sutu, an augmented reality digital specialist.
In being presented with the award, Downtown Caloundra was praised for pushing the boundaries of emerging technology and building on the region’s global reputation as a smart region.
The judges were impressed that the augmented reality artwork includes fish swimming through a spectacular ocean scape, is accompanied by music and that visitors can easily video themselves interacting with the 3D animation.
Other winners were:
- 2019 Best Amusing Street Art: “Beach Party” mural, Emu Park (QLD)
- 2019 Best Business Mural: Froth Craft Brewery’s “Froth Lido Mural”, Exmouth (WA)
- 2019 Best Mega Mural: Narrandera Water Tower, Narrandera (NSW)
- 2019 Best Monument or Memorial: Emu Park: Centenary of Anzac Memorial (QLD)
- 2019 Best Rural Art: “The Watering Hole” Silos Mural, Thallon (QLD)
- 2019 Best Street Art Festival or Event: Colour Tumby Street Art Festival, Tumby Bay (SA)
- 2019 Best Street Art Trail: FORM’s The PUBLIC Silo Trail (WA)
- 2019 Best Utility Art: “Sunset Dreaming” mural, Manly (NSW).
For more information about the Awards, contact Liz Rivers on 1300 88 22 59 or firstname.lastname@example.org.